HOSA’s Competitive Events Program brings health careers education to life through rigorous testing of knowledge performance, skill, and leadership capabilities aimed at developing, encouraging, and recognizing the brightest future health professionals. HOSA’s competitive events are divided into six (6) categories:
- Health Science Events
- Health Professions Events
- Emergency Preparedness Events
- Leadership Events
- Teamwork Events
- Recognition Events
HOSA members should believe in the competitive events program, not because of the awards to be received in competition, but because of the feeling of accomplishment and confidence gained in preparing for competition. HOSA does not provide competition for competition’s sake; rather, HOSA provides a competitive events program as a means of recognizing those students who are willing to pursue excellence by preparing for competition and having the determination to attend a conference and demonstrate the competencies gained through the healthcare science program.
Preparing Students for Competitive Events
Members interested in the Competitive Events Program can follow these 10 steps in preparing for competition.
- Start early
- Choose an event that fits your goals & interests
- Print & read the guidelines
- Gather your reference materials (found in the guidelines)
- Stay on top of deadlines
- Study the “General Rules and Regulations”
- Practice!, Practice!, and Practice!
- Gather any supplies needed for your event
- Check the dress code for your event found in the event guidelines
- When the time arrives, relax! Smile and show those judges that you’re confident!